Monday 5 April 2010

I am in Cairns on the final leg of my Ozzie trip! Can't believe it!

So I spent a whole week in Townsville in the end, the hostel was just so chilled and lovely. Met lots of nice people there including a lovely German girl Alex who I went to the beach with several days (and discovered Cold Rock icecream - awesome flavours and then mushed up bits of any kind of topping you can think of mixed in mmmmm) and some more South Londoners (they really get around!) who I went on a monster walk with. Up this massive massive hill and they were rather a lot fitter than me and a tropical rainstorm started halfway up... so that was interesting!

Then headed from Townsville to Mission Beach, proper rainforest. Was chucking it down like I've never seen when I arrived. Got into a bit of a grump so decided to upgrade my room, ended up in a 4 bed girls dorm with all pink sheets and towels and stuff called the Princess room. Obviously I was loving it. Met a nice girl in there so we went out for a few drinks, the bar / club by the hostel was hilariously awful but was nice to get out anyways. She's coming to Cairns while I'm still here so we'll probably go out here too. Good times. While in Mission Beach I managed to use the little bit when it wasn't raining to go on a rainforest walk, was rather exciting. Lots of geckos and spiders and butterflies and birds, and even a squashed snake on the side of the road on the way back. Also saw some wallabies and black parrots while I was there, but still no bloody kangaroos or koalas! Boo Australia lying (lieing?! I never remember that one!) about its wildlife...

Now in Cairns, just been wandering around the town, it's very busy at night and has a cool night market. Can't believe I'm only got 3 nights left! Probably going to go snorkeling on Tuesday although depends on the weather, it'll be okay if it's just a bit wet but if it's as torrential as it was today I'm not sure how fun it will be. We shall see. Then off to USA on Wednesday! Will write more then. xxx

1 comment:

  1. What's this cold rock ice cream? Sounds mad. but good. Can't believe you haven't seen any kangaroos - they were all over the place in the wild. Not that exciting though, you're not missing much, except quite good grilled! Enjoy the pink room and happy flying.

    ReplyDelete