Saturday 16 January 2010

Hot cycling

Hello hello, less exciting update for you today I'm afraid.

Yesterday I was feeling a bit uninspired (largely due to the darn loss of my awesome plan in my guide book) so did a lot of wandering around. Went to the ladies' market to try and buy some more shoes but once again my hugeness let me down as they only had ugly shoes in a big enough size. Silly Hong Kong-ers and their small feet / height. I went on the star ferry across the water (sea? river? I think sea right? Or perhaps it's an estuary?!??) which was cool. Er... sure I must've done some other stuff but can't think of it right now. Watched Miss Congeniality 2 in my room in the evening (told you today's update was less exciting!). So, boring to write about but I enjoyed the doing nothing.

Today I was planning to go to a museum and monastery so I got the MTR as planned. By the time I got there it was about midday and the sun was beaming down and I decided it was far too nice and hot to stand in a building. Hotness still has great novelty after the snow etc in England. So I meandered around a bit and found a very pretty park which had lots and lots of people on bikes. Then I saw a sign for a bike rental place and I thought, why not?! So I hired a bike and cycled along the path by the river for an hour or so. Very peaceful (most of the time, apart from when crazy children brake suddenly in front of you / people don't respect the one-way system / decide to cycle alongside each other kissing) and pretty, and an interesting juxtaposition of concrete jungle in the surrrounding area and trees, waterfalls etc in the park. A bit like Central Park in NYC I suppose. (Oooh I sound like a jet-setter when I say that! Ha!) And a bit like in Greenwich park where you can see Canary Wharf in the background. So like any city park then.. Hmm... Anyway so I tried to take a self-time picture of myself on the bike, I look ridiculous as you can imagine, I will try and put photos up tomorrow.

After I gave the bike back I wandered around the park some more and found a man doing a little performance thing with his guitar, I think he was singing in English but I couldn't work out what he was saying. He was quite good anyway (or maybe that's just because he was a man playing a guitar so I got a bit over-excited) so I sat and watched that for a bit.

Then I MTRed back to the stop near me and hit up the supermarket. I am doing very well at being budget-y and buying stuff in advance rather than in restaurants. Might even manage my 5-a-day today, good work McKinley. So now here I am online and then planning to watch some project runway tonight. Probably should go to a bar or something but I am far too lazy. Plenty of time for that in NZ / Aus / USA.

About to check the weather for tomorrow and if it’s as nice as it was today I think a day in a different park will have to be arranged. Oh I do love being lazy...1

Thanks again to people who have emailed / texted / facebooked. You are all very lovely. xxx

2 comments:

  1. Er, not sure what’s happened to the font half way down there. And in this box. Silliness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooer yes the text is creepy! Let's hope it doesn't stay
    Glad it's going well. It's started raining here which is much nicer than the snow. Slightly warmer anyway.
    Loving the blogs though!
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete