Monday 18 January 2010

Some thoughts from HK...

Not sure I've done enough of interest to warrant a standard blog, so here are some Julia-thoughts for you all...

1) No matter what country I'm in, I really enjoy sitting around reading my book. Currently reading a crime novel I found in the hostel. Surprisingly good, like reading an episode of CSI.

2) Hong Kong streets are very crowded and everyone walks painfully slowly. Odd that I am the tourist and the one who wants to speed up... Perhaps because my legs are longer?

3) Lots of Hong Kong brides get their wedding photos taken in random places on the street. Best seen so far: outside a tea museum. (Possibly location for you Trots?!)

4) Are all cities' pre-pay train ticket thing named after a sea creature beginning with O? (Think oyster, now octopus...)

5) If your diet consists almost entirely of Chinese pot-noodles, greasy take-aways, fruit, ice-cream and chocolate, your stomach isn't going to thank you. (McDonalds for dinner tonight methinks, just to re-Westernise my insides)

6) It's not worth paying the extra to go to the viewing platform at the top of The Peak. It is, however, worth climbing the 105 steps to get to the viewing platform in Hong Kong Park.

7) I am developing a slight obsession with city parks. So far I have been to 3 here and loved them all. Sure the one in Christchurch with the folk band will be equally spectacular too.

8) Even if it's 20 degrees c, Hong Kong-ers look at you like you're a complete loony if you wear a shorts / vest / flip-flops combo.

9) Earl grey / green tea blend is delicious.

10) Being tall is still causing me problems. My legs are too long to fit in Hong Kong pedicure chairs properly. And I also bang my head a lot on the bars on the MTR.

That's it for now. Will write normally again soon. xxxxx

3 comments:

  1. Ha. Liking the random thoughts.

    And yes, you will absolutely love the park in Christchurch - it's really green (much more so than Sydney, I think that's why I liked it), you can go punting, it's just like Cambridge but warmer and with fewer people!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mc,

    Thought I'd take some of the commenting pressure off Christopher.

    Glad to see your thoughts are flowing freely.

    I find it hard to believe earl grey mixed with green tea is pleasant.

    Otherwise, there seems to be a distinct lack on bungling so far, which is rather disheartening.

    Buck up you ideas eh?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo terrible that you could not fit in the pedicure chair! Whatever will you do?! :) I'm sorry couldn't resist! This makes me think of The Amazing Race which is my favorite reality show on TV. I am just imagining you on that show and being made to do various challenges while racing across the globe. Ahh, good stuff.

    ReplyDelete