Sunday 7 February 2010

'By all means, move at a glacial pace'

Haven't really been up to much since the last blog to be honest. Saw the glaciers as planned, they were impressive but not like I thought they'd be. Do I recall correctly, McKinley family members, that we saw a glacier somewhere and actually stood on it? Perhaps the Jung Frau Joch (sp?!)?? Or in Canada? It was very big and cool though nonetheless, and learned lots of interesting glacier-y type facts, such as that it takes 5 years for snow fall at the top to reach the bottom that's how slow they are.

More camping in a random little town with lots of churches that night, ate some kumara (sweet potato) chips which were delicious and a venison sausage which was less so. Beat Alana at spiderman uno, for which she threatened to drive off in the morning while I was still sleeping and leave me on my todd. Silly.

Then the next day involved huge amounts of driving in the heat again, once again I managed to get heatstroke / carsickness combo which resulted in my wandering around like a lost sheep feeling very rough. But then we arrived at Alana's lovely friend Renee's house where I have been fed like a King. Many many home-made puddings and sheep killed by the man of the house and veggies grown in the garden. As was suggested by a certain Mr West, like the 1950s in the nicest possible way... Yesterday I mainly worked on my tan (which is getting better all the time) but today it is cloudy (despicable!) so I have been reading up on Aus and preparing myself for AAAA (awesome around australia adventure). Looking into super-cheap campervan-hiring options - loving the image of me behind the wheel of one. The roads in Aus are easy, right...?! Am debating not doing the surfing tour to allow myself more time to get around, the lonely planet seems to think I should be staying about 3 times longer than I am. Hmm... Definitely will do at least a lesson though, who knows, surfing may be my secret sporting talent! (Somehow I doubt this, but you never know...)

Tonight I believe I am eating BBQ, perhaps with fresh fish caught by Renee's partner on his fishing trip. Oh I am spoilt. Hopefully the sun will come out later too. If not I am also enjoying my newest book (from a second hand book shop, not seen any book swaps lately sadly) about London in the plague. Am also reading the Kite Runner aloud to Alana (reminds me of happy teacher-ing times) which is good too. Also been watching some rugby 7s and deciding on my future husband - there's a very toothy one that I think I would have excellent smiley babies with - although sadly we are arriving in Wellington tomorrow and it's all over already. Silly timing Julia. So yes, ferry to Wellington (on North island) tomorrow then we're there in a hostel for a couple of nights. Then we're having a camping fest (hopefully will be less painful as have borrowed air beds from Renee - this has been officially approved as acceptable since i am working up to proper camping for all you doubters of my hardcore-ness out there) around the middle of the island before heading to another friend of Alana's in Auckland around Tuesday week. So probably won't be online much before then, but keep your emails /texts / facebooks coming, I'm having odd bursts of homesickness so it's very lovely to hear from people. Text thanks this time go out to Lanny and E-war.

Oh, and correct answer to the 'which is the most photographed building in the southern hemisphere question' was indeed Sydney Opera house. Well done to Lanny, Chris and daddy Mc for getting it right. Today's task is to name the film from which this blog's title quote comes from (Clakes, if you don't get it i'll be appalled!)

Bye for now, speak to you all again from the North Island... xx

2 comments:

  1. I know it, I know it. It was on telly the other day. Shall send my answer via facebook so that I don't spoil other people's guessing fun, x x

    ReplyDelete