Thursday 25 February 2010

Tie me kangaroo down, sport...

Okay, so a lot has happened since I've last blogged and I've started to get confused. I may have to skip over the rest of NZ otherwise I'm just going to get bored (and, let's face it, so will you... cos if I think I'm boring goodness knows everyone else probably got bored about 10 paragraphs earlier).

SO! Went around the rest of NZ. Major highlights include staying at Lan's family member (2nd cousin or something equally distant)'s house on a vineyard and having a tour of the vineyard, as well as lots of free wine and a luxurious hot-tub. I'm sure we also saw lots of cool and impressive things but I can't remember any of them off the top of my head, apologies. We got the ferry back over to the South Island again and then off I went to Christchurch airport (after a bit of an emotional goodbye after the realisation that I may not see Lan again until my weddings - or her's but she claims she doesn't want one - and who knows if I will ever get married?!?!) and flew on over to Melbourne. Bit of disappointing PF (plane food duh) as advertised as chicken pie but was really just chicken in breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs do not = pastry. Silly air NZ peeps. Bit of excitement on the plane as was sat across the aisle from a sick person who was lying on a stretcher and had to have their blood pressure checked every hour. Obviously I didn't tell them I thought this was exciting but was instead suitably sympathetic. Watched The Soloist (very good) and The Invention of Lying (also very good).

Aaaanyways, got to Melbourne, got bus from airport, checked into hostel which was nice. Chatted to a girl who sounds JUST like Alannah (Lanny are you from Devon cos she is) who was very nice for a while until Claire arrived (after getting a bit lost, silly...) She had to go to work tomorrow so we just had a quick drink and then I got the train back with her just to keep her company, which also meant I could see Zan (who has grown a ridiculous moustache for all of those who know him and want to laugh) when he came to pick her up from the station so that was all very lovely.

Today I did the walking tour of Melbourne from my lonely planet, which passed FAR too many shops and thus forced me to buy rather too much (forced me!). Am loving Melbourne, is very different from NZ's beautiful scenic-ness but very cool. Lots of graffiti-type street art things which are fun, excellent cafes (I hope you visited lots when you were here Chrissy) and as I said, awesome shops with lots of pretty dresses (and shoes, and bags, and sunglasses...) Am still trying to find yellow face / body paint for my bananas-in-pyjamas outfit for Claire's friend's party.

Oh just remembered another NZ thing. Bought some 50c (c 25p!) amazing corn-on-the-cob and bbqed it, as recommended by these crazy tattooed biker guys who we met at a campsite (and proceeded to chat to all night - very random but cool) and it was delicious. So have now bought more corn (3 for 2$, not as cheap boo) which I will have to make do with microwaving tonight.

Just about to go phone the stand-by-cars people to hopefully get Claire & me a campervan or something to head to Sydney in - exciting times. I'll keep you all posted of course.

Hope everyone is doing very well. Will probably blog again once I get to Claire's at the weekend. Miss you all lots xxx

PS I heard there was more snow in London?! It's 30 degrees here teehee.

2 comments:

  1. Just noticed I typoed and wrote 'weddings' not 'wedding' teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure did enjoy the cafes! I tried to make it around every one but didn't quite manage that. Quite a few pieces of cake and cups of coffee though, I do remember feeling rather ill.

    It has been snowing here but not settled - worst of both worlds. Still, Gaga on saturday, gotta be good!

    ReplyDelete